Tuesday, November 27, 2012

God's History

I was inspired this week to write about what seems to be a common misconception about people who believe in God and live a life of faith. It's a misconception I myself once held until someone helped me realize how ridiculous it really is. It's so ridiculous that anyone who has ever read the Bible should give themselves a face palm if they continue to think this way. From Genesis to Revelation this kind of thinking is directly contradicted. Are you ready to hear it?
I hope you've got your face palm prepared.
People who believe in God should always be happy. Right? What I mean specifically is that people who believe in God should always be smiling. Let's check the Bible. Abel was killed by his brother, Abraham had to leave his parents and country, Joseph was sold into slavery by his own brothers, Moses was opposed directly by the Israelites, the people he was saving, and never entered Canaan, King David had to run for many years from a man set on killing him even though he had been appointed king by God, Prophet Elijah was exiled in his own country, Jesus was persecuted and crucified, the Apostles met the same fate.

Going further, the followers of Jesus had to have services in the catacombs, were burned at the stake, and fed to lions. During the Protestant reformation believers in God were persecuted and killed when they opposed the long-standing power of the church. Even now persecution is still seen in certain parts of the world today. If these people are really the examples of the kind of life we should live, it's difficult to say that believers in God never go through difficulty and suffering just like everyone else. 
After all, even Jesus, wept.
(You can face palm now if you need to do so).

When I realized this I thought, "then what is so good about believing in God if I go through even more suffering than everyone else?" Isn't it so good because all suffering has an end? Even if you suffer, it will eventually come to and end, like it did for Joseph. Even if you suffer, you will end up closer to God, like Job.  Even if you suffer, you will learn a deep lesson, like King David. Even if you suffer, you can save lives, like Jesus. So even though a situation becomes too difficult to bear and tears flow like a river, you can bear it because it has an end. In this way, there will be many times you will not be able to smile that genuine bright smile. As Ecclesiastes 3:4 says, "[there is] a time to weep and a time to laugh."

I often try to remember that there is no being that has suffered more than God. For 6000 years he has been watching the people like Abel who believed in Him and served him be killed by those like Cain. And yet he still shows those like Cain mercy because he loves even them. Therefore, it's no surprise to me that when things get difficult, I still feel closer to God. So even though I suffer, there is still joy through hope.

My head Pastor is someone who has gone through immense suffering as he lived his life believing in and serving God. Persecution is something that for him, started even within his own family. But in the midst of one of his greatest sufferings he wrote this song that I so very much enjoy singing. It goes like this:
Many people talk about me, they say he's a man of misery.
Not at all. I am man of Happiness.
However long I think of myself, Still I feel --
"Oh, I am a happy man!"
"Happyness is Happyness, only when it lasts eternally..."
When I sing this song, I remember that a life of faith isn't all smiles and giggles like some people want it to be and others believe it to be. It's a life of sincerity. It's a life of overcoming hardships because you know that there is hope for you in the end. It's a life of deep meaning and purpose in everything you do. It's a truly happy life.

No comments:

Post a Comment